Re: auth handshake and rendevouz objects

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: auth handshake and rendevouz objects
Date: 05 Nov 2002 21:16:21 +0100

address@hidden (Neal H. Walfield) writes:

> > where the data pages can be made pageable again as soon as there are
> > no outstanding handle transfers.
>
> I am not convinced that this added hair is necessary.

I just wanted to make sure that the rpc from the sever doesn't timeout
just because one of the pages holding the needed datastructure is
paged out. In this case, you don't want the rpc to timeout, but you
also don't want the server thread to hang potentially for ever while
A:s (untrusted) pager does it's work to get the page in core.

The datastructures can grow quite large, at least temporarily, so if
you mark the datastructures un-pagable, you should make sure to make
them pageable (or deallocate them completely) when they're not in
active use. There may be large numbers of idle tasks, and you don't
want them to hold on to physical memory pages, except for the shared
paging code.

/Niels