RE: thread ids, task ids and subsystems

From: Volkmar Uhlig
Subject: RE: thread ids, task ids and subsystems
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 20:27:35 +0200

You still have to delete and re-create tasks to implement fork/execve
for example. And there performance matters in particular if your one and
only privileged thread may need 100us or more to perform the thread
creation/deletion and is blocked for that time...

Additionally, you have significant cache-line migration costs to get the
request onto the other CPU. When deleting and re-creating the task, it
will show up on the wrong CPU and the load balancer has to migrate it
afterwards adding another X-CPU scheduling request (per thread!). So
better do it on the right CPU in the first place.

> Anyway, by not allowing a subsystem to have M privileged
> threads we are enforcing a policy decision to them, so I think that
> making M privileged threads possible is certainly a good idea.

That should solve it. You could also have a magic version number
identifying privileged threads, i.e. -1? (I guess you don't wanna give
up 1 for init ;)

- Volkmar