Re: Kernel Interface Page Dumping Server

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Kernel Interface Page Dumping Server
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 15:57:34 +0200

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 03:31:48PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> Why does the convenience interface require passing a pointer to the KIP
> around?  As the KIP location can not be changed during the lifespan of an
> address space, it should be sufficient to query it once and cache it in a
> global variable and just use that for all these functions.  The
> up-front initialization that is then required can be done in the dynamic
> linker as well.  I guess you might worry about synchronization, but then in
> any non-trivial program there is a large amount of startup initialization
> anyway.

I just realized that this would require linking with the library while
otherwise you wouldn't need to, so that would be an argument against that.

OTOH, just as the dynamic linker would fix up the system calls, it could
also ship with the global variable to prevent linking with the l4 library.

http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/