Re: root task - debugging kernel

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: root task - debugging kernel
Date: 21 May 2003 22:51:47 +0200

Etienne Robillard <address@hidden> writes:

> Besides, kickstarting from grub (output to screen)
> does work until the "Launching kernel stage" ; then it
> freezes without warnings :-)
>
> my menu.lst looks like this :
> root (hd0,1,a)
> kernel= /boot/ia32-kernel
> module=/libexec/l4/kickstart
> module= /libexec/l4/sigma0
> module= /libexec/l4/pingpong

I did some experiments today, following Marcus' instructions. I think
you should use switch the first two files, like

kernel = .../kickstart
module = .../ia32-kernel
module = .../sigma0
module = .../pingpong

I'm not sure how this works, I just guess kickstart is more multiboot
compliant than ia32-kernel.

I've been able to load Marcus' root servers. For pingpong, however, I
don't know what to expect. Nothing interesting happened when I tried
that, so I can't say if it worked.

/Niels