Re: Request for some informations

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: Request for some informations
Date: 30 Aug 2003 13:47:28 +0200

Jérôme Blanc <address@hidden> writes:

> I am interested in the IPC security system. From what I have been able to
> find
> so far, from reading l4-hurd documents, the security architecture that seems
> the most appropriate to use with a dynamic component system like the
> l4-hurd, is something similar to Clans & Chief and IPC redirect
> architectures.

The current plan is to do the security in userspace. Each receiver of
an ipc has to check if the sender is authorized, based on the senders
task id. The code to do that will be put into a library, so that most
servers need not care about the details. There may be DoS-issues, but
that seems like the best way to do it on current L4 (next version is
rumoured to have security features more in line with what is needed by
the Hurd. We'll see in time).

Regards,
/Niels