Re: slab allocator

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: slab allocator
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:51:36 +0200

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 06:09:00AM +0200, Johan Rydberg wrote:

> Since I really had nothing to do, I implemented a simple slab
> allocator for l4-hurd.  It has only been tested on GNU/Linux
> with a small test case I wrote.

This looks very great already.  I have not digged through it completely
(yet), but what I saw was good.  We will need assignment papers for you (you
know the drill), and I can put it in when the process is under way.

About the code, all globals can be static (I think I saw some who were not).
As mine, your english degrades a bit when the nights get long ;)  but that
is easily fixed.  As for releasing memory, it might be a good idea to have a
function that can be called on page pressure to release a specified number
of pages (if possible).  However, that is just a guess by me, and we can
wait until we know more about how paging works until we decide how to do it.
What do others do?

> It breaks the current interface for libhurd-slab, since it
> introduces the alignment argument to hurd_slab_create.

That's fine.  I was just being lazy when I put in the dummy.

Thanks a lot for this!

http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/