Re: Hey all, I would like to help write some docs

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Hey all, I would like to help write some docs
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:07:52 +0200

At Wed, 16 Jun 2004 02:45:57 -0400,
B. Douglas Hilton wrote:
> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> Here is a patch which updates the README and provides instructions for
> building on systems with buggy autoreconf (like Debian unstable). I also
> added sample steps for building Pistachio and made a change to the
> sample GRUB menu.lst entry to reflect that sigma0 gets installed into
> /libexec/l4 by default.

Hi,

let's start with some general notes: You should explain to me/us why a
specific change is necessary.  Just referring to a buggy autoreconf
does not tell me enough to understand what's going on.  All things
equal, I liked Jeroens solution more.  However, what I like even more
if things just work.  In particular, I hate documenting bugs. :-/

>   sigma0 must be built with a different link base than the default value
>   0x20000, because that conflicts with GRUB (on ia32).  I have
> ! successfully used a link base of 0x40000. From your build directory
> ! within the pistachio source tree, the following build commands
> ! should be appropriate for an ia32 system.
> !
> ! $ mkdir build
> ! $ cd build
> ! $ ../user/configure --with-s0-linkbase=0x40000 --prefix=/l4
> ! $ make
> ! $ make install
> ! $ cp kernel/ia32-kernel /l4/boot

Mmh.  Ok.  Referring to --with-s0-linkbase=0x40000 as configure option
should be enough, though.  The rest is canonical and should be
documented in the L4 tree.

Nitpick: You need two spaces after a full stop (".  From").

> ! module /libexec/l4/sigma0

Oh well.