Re: create_archive_ia32.pl (ddf)

From: Daniel Wagner
Subject: Re: create_archive_ia32.pl (ddf)
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:47:17 +0200

Hi Etienne,

At Sat, 03 Jul 2004 11:06:36 -0400,
Etienne Robillard wrote:
> I've released a new patch which fixes that issue completely.

Cool.

> Besides, the patch involves some new things:
>
> - replacement of functions output_format() and output_arch() with
>   output_fixme() (efficiency and code robustness).

Name proposal: instead of output_fixme extract_configuration or
something like that.

> - OUTPUT_FORMAT extraction is "broken".

Ah, I tried it and you're right, it's broken :)  That's the main reason
I can't apply it to the archive.  I think the CVS source should at
least compile. If the patch doesn't resolve all problems that's a different
question.  But I like your patches all the same.

> - ENTRY is in. Matches m{ENTRY} == ENTRY(_start).

That raises an interesting question.  I think it's not possible to use
the ENTRY symbol at all.  Of course, the linker uses a default symbol.
The reason is that we will have several binary object linked together
to one archive.  Each binary object will have a _start symbol.  So
there is some need for a different scheme.

> - SEARCH_DIR is not very hard to implement, imho.

Yeah, that seems a good idea to implement.  The current solution to
copy the files into the current directory is just a work around.

When you resolved the OUTPUT_FORMAT thing, could you send a new patch
against the version on sv cvs reposetory?  That would be really great.

Thanks,
daniel