Re: Resolved: Unexpected page fault from 0xdc003 ad address 0x??

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Resolved: Unexpected page fault from 0xdc003 ad address 0x??
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:13:12 +0200

The subject suggests you know why this happens.  I don't see anything wrong
with the code (in physmem.c:main, physmem.c:get_task_cap, or
wortel.h:wortel_get_task_cap.)  Also, 0xdc003 is not physmem, it is task.
Physmem is 0xdc002 (I added some extra debugging output to see such things.)

I have the feeling it has to do with the code size.  When I try to start a
task server which only does puts ("task is running");, it works fine.  When I
link malloc, mmap and zalloc with them, even without using them, this error
occurs.  I'm sure the problem must be in the startup code (I tried to
pagefault in task/ia32-crt0.S and failed,) so that is in
wortel/wortel.c:start_task or wortel/startup.c.

There's one other strange thing.  Before I wrote about a failed IPC with the
"no more system buffers for map operation availble" error.  I changed wortel
to grant all its memory to wortel instead of mapping it, which should free
just about a third of the system buffers (all memory still being owned by
sigma0 and physmem.)  I still got the error though, so it seems that something
else is wrong, maybe in the kernel (although I don't think so.)  I tried to
print the result of the ipc from physmem as well (without changing task other
than linking in the changed capability server code,) but the error was not
reproducible anymore.  That's what happens all the time: the error changes or
disappears when changing things which should be completely unrelated to it.

Thanks,
Bas