Re: Getting Started with Hurd-L4

From: Sam Mason
Subject: Re: Getting Started with Hurd-L4
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 23:41:50 +0100

Bas Wijnen wrote:
>Libc will be implementing its services for a big part by calling
>physmem, task and perhaps some other servers.  The rootserver (and
>physmem and task) cannot use that, of course.  As for the other parts,
>the parts they need from it are currently in libc-parts.  It's just the
>implementation from libc AFAIK, but it takes much less space, indeed.

OK, that makes sense and seems like the sensible thing to do!

>The capability system can be used by any server to provide secure access
>by clients.  Physmem uses it to let tasks get and manipulate their
>mappings, task uses it to allow task creation and destruction, to name a
>few things.  It's not all security-related, but if it has bugs, then
>they are likely a big security problem, because the tasks with access to
>the root server use it.

I guess it would make sense to have more of a poke around in there as
well then!

>There seems to be a bug somewhere there, and
>I've spend days trying to find it, so far without success.

I wouldn't know what's good and what's not at the moment!  If you
could send some code that tickles the bug I could try and make some
suggestions, but I'll be making random guesses for quite a bit.

>Bootstrap stuff will always be needed of course.

Some bootstrap code will always be needed!  But I wasn't sure if the
context was that of bootstrapping the development process, or that of
bring up the system - if that makes sense!