Re: Resolved: Unexpected page fault from 0xdc003 ad address 0x??

From: Espen Skoglund
Subject: Re: Resolved: Unexpected page fault from 0xdc003 ad address 0x??
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:21:52 +0200

[Marcus Brinkmann]
> Well, first: On ia32, beside superpages, only 4KB pages are
> supported.  I actually expect that physmem and the user-space pager
> will only deal with individual pages, not with arbitrary fpages.
> That I use arbitrary fpages in the startup code is more or less a
> result of me reusing the code I used to map the whole address space
> to physmem.

I would strongly suggest to reconsider using arbitrary sized fpages.
For one, using large fpages will result in larger hardware page sizes
being used, something which has a tremendous impact on TLB coverage.
Next, programming for ia32 only is a bad idea.  Some architectures
does not have 4KB pages, or the kernel implementation may avoid to use
them for some performance reason.

If your code is able to handle arbitrary page sizes (as with fpages)
or have a configurable list of supported page sizes then you will be
far better off.

        eSk