Re: Questions about copy-on-write

From: Sam Mason
Subject: Re: Questions about copy-on-write
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:28:24 +0100

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>From what I understand, your confusion stems from mixing up memory
>management and mappings.

I'm not sure it is.  All of your email made perfect sense and that
was how I originally understood it to work.  Maybe I'm using the
wrong terms sometimes, but conceptually that's exactly how I was
going to go about designing my own system - it was the only sane
way I could think of getting everything to tie together.  When I
started looking at Hurd on L4, I imagined that this implementation
would work in the same way (as it was the only way I could imagine
everything fitting together) but all the documentation about pages
disappearing out from under you, if you don't use the containers -
as provided by physmem - has slowly changed my view of how L4 worked.
It seemed to be suggesting that tasks could revoke the *mappings*
it had made with other tasks.  Basically I was a very confused
little boy!

I've had another read of the documentation and it's proving to
be *very* hard going - sorry to the authors!  I'll see if I can
rewrite it so it makes sense to me.  It's basically the paragraphs
following the start of the "Containers" section up until the "The
Container Interface" subsection.

Cheers,
  Sam