Re: Questions about copy-on-write

From: Rian Hunter
Subject: Re: Questions about copy-on-write
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:42:09 -0400

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

i think the general understanding has currently bin that mapping/unmapping will be a privilegded operation. ie. only hurd servers should be doing, or most precisely mostly physmem. untrusted tasks won't really be unmapping/mapping, they will be using containers and closing containers, and dying. physmem will take care of the actual business of mapping and copying and etc.

This is a misunderstanding, or maybe a careless wording.  A mapping
operation is always from one task to another, and you don't really say
anything about that, so I don't know if you mean it the right or the
wrong way.
Yeah, I meant it the right way. I meant that physmem will take care of all the low-level details of mapping to and from tasks in L4. A mapping operation made by one task to another will be carried out by physmem.

physmem will be predictably mature into being a very intelligent and thoughtful program, yet not very complicated as it won't (ideally) contain any policy on memory.

This is not true.  Physmem introduces a lot of policy, for example it
will enforce memory consumption restrictions, and how to share memory.
It will not contain any policy on managing _virtual_ address space of
a task.  But it will contain policy about _physical_ memory management
(hence its name).

I meant policy on how a task will manage its memory, I should have been more specific again.

scrutiny!
-rian