Re: Questions about copy-on-write

From: Sam Mason
Subject: Re: Questions about copy-on-write
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 15:55:25 +0000

Sam Mason wrote:
>I'll see if I can rewrite it so it makes [a bit more] sense to me.

I've included a few paragraphs I've managed to get together.
I don't think they're particularly amazing, but I was wondering if
it makes any sense to continue with it?

I don't really understand the capability stuff or how pages are
added/removed from a container so I've kind of glossed over those
bits for now.

I don't really understand the mechanics of how you give another
task a capability.

And I don't understand what capabilities are required to do a
"logical" copy of pages in a container.  Is the "access" capability
enough to do this and if so how to you create a container whose
contents are read-only?  or isn't that what containers are for and
you'd actually use some other mechanism to accomplish this?

Thanks,
  Sam