Re: Compile Errors

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Compile Errors
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:40:05 +0100

At Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:47:14 +0100,
Bas Wijnen <address@hidden> wrote:

> [1  <multipart/signed (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
> Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> > At Wed, 09 Feb 2005 18:05:42 +0530,
> > Ayan Chakrabarti wrote:
> >>I have Automake 1.9 and Autoconf 2.59. However, I still get warnings
> >>about stuff being underquoted when I run autoreconf on the hurd-l4 source.
> >
> > This is a warning emitted by automake.  Newer version of automake are
> > smarter at detecting underquoting.  We don't use glib so it is nothing
> > that affects the Hurd.
>
> This isn't the only one, there's a few pages of them, at least for me.
> However, it seems they don't cause a problem, the compilation runs fine
> here.

It's nothing we can do something about in the Hurd-L4 source.  We all
get them, we all ignore them.  What would have to happen is to fix all
the little automake macros in the /usr/share/aclocal directory and
send the fixes to the respective upstream packages.

However, if Neal says newer versions suppress this warning, that's better.
auto* tools sometimes have a bit weird compatibility issues...

> And the version of gcc.  Also, if you used an old tree which you updated
> with cvs, do a make clean and try again.  It helps sometimes.

Good to know, although if you use --enable-maintainer-mode, everything
_should_ work automatically... (except for compiling glibc because the
patch mechanism doesn't fit right into the make system).  Well, you
never know of course, and being in a clean state obviously doesn't
hurt.