Re: libl4 test cases

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: libl4 test cases
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:18:12 +0100

At Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:52:27 +0000,
Matthieu Lemerre <address@hidden> wrote:
> Here's a patch which adds support for reading/writing things in the
> utcb. Along is a C file which tests the loading / storing of MRs/BRs.

Thanks.  I checked it in, but with some changes:

* I refactored the test code a bit, so you can easily add more MR and
  BR tests (and I added one which writes all MRs/BRs).  This may look
  a bit silly, considering that those functions tested are very, very
  simple, but we can just as well do it properly, and it may be useful
  for c&p later on.  I also made the function clear all vregs with a
  pattern different from the one we test.

* Apropos c&p: You tested to write BR63, which doesn't exist.  This
  made the test crash on my system.  I fixed this, but you would have
  found that yourself if you had added more tests!  This is why:

* I added a test for the L4_NUM_BRS and L4_NUM_MRS macros.

* I renamed the file to t-l4-message.c.  This is supposed to suggest
  that the file l4/message.h is tested.  (All tests for header
  interfaces should be named that way.  Tests for bugs that used to
  exist etc can go in differently named files, like t-bug-NUMBER or
  t-FEATURE).

Some small hints for later:

* We usually write full and proper sentences in our comments, which
  end with a period, followed by two spaces.

  /* This is a proper comment.  */

  /* this not */

* Keep your lines under 80 characters, even better under or up to 78
  characters, or even 76 characters (default in emacs).

As a bonus, I added option and env parsing, so you can do now:

./t-l4-message -v

or

./t-l4-message -vk

or