Re: No luck with libc compilation - missing l4/arch.h file (?)

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: No luck with libc compilation - missing l4/arch.h file (?)
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 03:12:21 +0100

At Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:54:57 -0500,
"B. Douglas Hilton" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was thinking about the cross-compiler issues for l4-hurd, and I
> remember a ways back in this thread somebody mentioned MIG. Now, IIRC,
> you can't make a --target=i686-gnu compiler unless you have both Mach
> and MIG headers installed, neither of which is needed by l4-hurd, so
> this doesn't look to be a good way to go about this.

I think you recall incorrectly.  It is true that you can't make a full
gcc compile without libc.  libgcc2.a will fail, not to talk about all
those other language supports but C.  So, there is some kludgery still
involved.  But I don't think Mach or mig are involved at all.

> I think that updating the make-cross script might be the preferred
> solution, and if somebody could point me to or send me a recent version
> of the script I wouldn't mind looking it over.

Well, let's say you use make-cross or a similar hack.  That does only
change what you do to get i686-gnu-gcc.  It has no relevance on any
particular step in the bootstrapping procedure otherwise.  All
the other issues (except how to get a cross compiler) will still be
the same.

INSTALL-cross contains all the important steps, although the details
may be out of date.  Alfred posted some updated version of it on
bug-hurd recently.  But in the end, it's always the same.  Let me try
to give a summary for both Hurd on Mach and Hurd on L4:

1. Compile binutils and some sort of gcc.
2.a. Build and install the kernel (actually, in Hurd/L4, libl4 is the only
     thing needed and installed in 2.b.)
2.b. Install the Hurd headers.
3.a. Compile a cross-IDL compiler (for libhurduser).
3.b. Compile and install libhurduser (this is done in 4. for Hurd/Mach).
4. Compile and install bits of glibc.
5. Compile gcc for real now.
6. Compile and install the rest of glibc.
7. Compile and install the Hurd.

Step 3.a and 3.b are not available on the Hurd/L4 yet.