Re: L4-hurd discuss

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: L4-hurd discuss
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 00:26:11 +0200

At Sun, 26 Jun 2005 08:30:47 -0700,
David Leimbach <address@hidden> wrote:
> Actually relicensing works under the BSD to GPL may be illegal as you
> don't
> have the copyrights to make that change.
>
> The BSD says you can redistribute it however you want, not rewrite
> the license
> if you don't agree with it's terms.
>
> I'd seriously consult a lawyer before attempting anything that
> potentially
> violates the originator's wishes.

The way this usually works is by creating a derived work, which
includes some BSD licensed components and some components of your own,
and then license the whole under the GPL.  Of course, the BSD parts
are still very much licensed under the BSD in this case.

Note that this is not as powerful as with proprietary swallowing of
BSD licensed works: In those cases, all you get is usually the binary,
and there is no requirement to provide either the modified or original
source of the BSD work to anybody.