Re: Extending the problems we have with caps to endpoints

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Extending the problems we have with caps to endpoints
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:23:19 +0200

At Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:39:12 +0200,
ness <address@hidden> wrote:

> As endpoints are mappable objects in upcoming L4s, we have the same
> problems like with capabilities, IMHO. Maybye it's not that important,
> as endpoints aren't exchanged that often, but I guess we needed an
> endpoint server, too?
> One more point to hope for copy semantics or to emulate 'em?

Endpoints _are_ capabilities, and general purpose capabilities in L4s
can only be implemented reasonably using endpoints.

Note that from what I heard the L4 people do not have fundamental
objections against a copy operation, on the condition that it is
"necessary".  What is needed to convince them of necessity I don't
know :)