Re: Using Hurd features (was: Re: Hurdish applications for persistence)

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Using Hurd features (was: Re: Hurdish applications for persistence)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:12:59 +0200

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 04:52:04AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > A problem here is that programs aren't and shouldn't be written solely
> > for the Hurd.
>
> Yes they should! What's the use in all those nice Hurd features, if we
> aren't allowed to use them??

We are allowed to use them, but only programs which are meaningless on other
systems should use the features directly.

> Compatibility with legacy applications, and familar interfaces, are very
> important -- that's why we take quite a lot of trouble to implement
> POSIX. But ultimately, we definitely *do* want to have native, hurdish
> applications.

Not really.  We want to have native, hurdish libraries.  But they should
emulate their work (probably slower, perhaps less secure, maybe even less
functional) on other systems.

> For (Hurd-aware) authors caring about portability to other platforms, I
> suggest not restricting themselfs to POSIX, but instead doing it the
> other way round: Using native Hurd features, and a layer emulating those
> on top of other systems.

Right.  That is, creating a library, so it is at least easy to port (only the
library needs to be ported).  Glib is an excellent example of such a library
(which doesn't do specific hurdish things of course).

Any time I need to use #include <linux/...> I'm annoyed.  That's because I
know I'm writing code which can only be used with a linux kernel.  And there's
often no real need for it.  For example, <linux/ppdev.h> just defines a way to
access the parallel port.  Why would that be impossible on other systems?
Agreed, it does so through ioctl, but I consider that a bug: the header file
should define inline functions which make the ioctl calls.

Thanks,
Bas