Re: Chroot and ".."

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Chroot and ".."
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:23:27 +0200

   The handling of ".." was so unusual that the original version of
   "rm" did not implement directory remove. There was a separate
   program, "dvd", which existed to do this. I think "dvd" was dropped
   in research unix version 4, and the functionality was integrated
   into "rm".

Since I'm not sure what the heck you mean with `research unix version
4', I'll guess that you are refering to the 4th edition.  rmdir was
already avaiable in the 1st edition of UNIX.  Then there was the dsw
command, which you used in conjuction with the front-panel on the PDP
to delete something (delete from switches).

PS.  I might note that Google was not involved.  I actually know PDP's
(atleast 7, 10 and 11) quite well, and the systems that ran on them.
And even though I'm quite a `young kiddo' as Jonathan would say, I
have used the real thing, the front panel is dearly missed.