Re: capability types

From: Neal H. Walfield
Subject: Re: capability types
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:55:00 +0100

At Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:42:51 -0400,
Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> I think we are confusing interfaces for types. dir_lookup("name"), for
> example, can return an arbitrary capability type. Once you have the
> capability back, however, that capability has well defined behavior, and
> you can ask the capability what its behavior is.

This indeed seems to have been the case.  Thanks for taking the time
to clarify the terminology.

To summarize my understanding from this thread:

 - a capability *names* an object
 - an object *implements* a set of methods
 - the set of methods an object implements is *the interface* it
   implements
 - an IDL can be used to define an interface *type*
 - interface types are purely advisory and strict interface type
   checking cannot be performed based exclusively on this information

Thanks,
Neal