Re: Let's do some coding :-)

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Let's do some coding :-)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:16:13 -0400

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 18:06 +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> Everybody else: The netiquette also says that trolls should be
> ignored.  This is a good idea in general.

Alfred may be going about it in an antisocial way, and he is certainly
being a holier than thou little shit in his proclamations about the One
True Way Of GNU, but he is raising a valid point about compatibility,
and this point deserves some thought.

The issue that we need to look at is: are his assumptions about the
requirements for compatibility and the costs of incompatibility correct?
He assumes that we must throw away large quantities of code. There is
evidence that this assumption is wrong.

I will shortly post a note on this subject so that we can all examine
this in a more structured discussion. I think the outcome will be that
(a) Alfred is partly right, but (b) the situation is not black and
white, and Alfred is not as right as Alfred imagines.