RE: On Compatibility

From: Christopher Nelson
Subject: RE: On Compatibility
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:12:09 -0600

>    End users do not use emacs!
>
> You'd be suprised how many end users actuall use emacs,
> specially people who write articles, books, and other things
> that require extensive text editing.

What percentage of people who use computers use a platform on which
Emacs is easily available (i.e. installed by default.)  Of that group,
what percentage use Emacs regularly?  Now compare that number with the
number of all computer users.  It will be vanishingly small.

If you are talking about what percentage of UNIX-ish developers use
Emacs, the percentage will be correspondingly larger.  It will still be
a small number compared to computer users in general, which is the
argument that I suspect Jonathan is making.

-={C}=-