Re: POSIX Layer, Stronger Chassis (Was: Re: Compatibility)

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: POSIX Layer, Stronger Chassis (Was: Re: Compatibility)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:54:49 -0400

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 12:15 +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> Secondly, you'll have to show why XCU stops anyone from making a
> pretty GUI like GNOME for `simple users' (I dislike the term
> end-users, since developers are also end-users).

I'm not concerned about the GUI. I'm concerned about the underlying
insecurity. Since I have already started to address this in a separate
thread, let us discuss it there.

>    End users don't care whether it is POSIX, NT, DOS, or little purple
>    mice inside.
>
> Actually, they do, if the purple mice start dying then it will smell
> really bad after a week...

Just use immortal mice. They are much easier to engineer than secure
POSIX systems.

>    >   I really don't see why Shapiro and AMS can't be simultaneously
>    > satisfied.
>
>    Because Shapiro wants a system that actually works well for real
>    users, and AMS wants whatever AMS wants in the current instant.
>
> You sure as heck don't want what actually works well for real users.
> I want to be able to run my 20 year old programs, and I want to see
> the GNU system in my life time.  You want a pretty little system that
> is devoid of any link to reality, and one that will never be finished
> or usable.

Maybe and maybe not. But here is something really surprising: some of my
commercial customers are willing to pay millions of dollars for that
pretty little system, because they are so fed up with being vulnerable.
They don't even seem to mind if it is open source.