Re: Changing from L4 to something else...

From: Martin Schaffner
Subject: Re: Changing from L4 to something else...
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 07:49:09 +0200

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:18:53 -0400, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
In my opinion, the Hurd project is coming to a cusp, and it faces a
choice between two options:

 1. Hurd can continue to pursue the goals for the GNU OS that were set
    out in 1983. This is a fine thing to do, but in my opinion this is
    basically an obsolete activity.

 2. Hurd can try to establish a forward looking vision that makes sense
    from where we stand now in 2005.

The current Hurd/Mach does not give users much over Linux, since the goal to have user-space file systems is now also fulfilled in Linux with FUSE, which is probably less buggy, and has more interested developers.

If, additionally, user-space drivers are a goal, then
* Hurd/Mach needs to be hacked to support that, or
* the Hurd/L4 port needs to be completed, or
* maybe one could write a Linux module for that purpose, or
* a Hurd/successor(EROS) port is attempted.

I do not know how much work each of these would take. Mach is very buggy, it requires a lot of work already because of that, Hurd/L4 is nowhere near finished (especially the device driver framework), and as for an effort of user-space devices for Linux (other than USB drivers), I don't know.

I do not see anyone willing to do one of the first three, so I say let's instead try to help the people going for the last one.

Thanks,
Martin