Re: Coyotos vs. EROS

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Coyotos vs. EROS
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:31:55 +0200

At Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:52:35 +0200,
Justin Emmanuel <address@hidden> wrote:

> OK! I give up.
>
> 1) What is an endpoint?
>
> Once I know that I will know what a capability or an IPC endpoint is.
>
> Been searching for this information on the net and I have not so far
> come up with anything.

The endpoint is the kernel object for which you get a receive or send
capability.  If a thread invokes an ipc on the send capability, the
sending thread will be enqueued on the endpoint for sending.
Similary, if a thread receives from a receive capability, the
receiving thread is enqueued on the endpoint for receiving.

The kernel will then match a sending and a receiving thread, and make
the IPC happen.

So, there is another level of indirection in the IPC path.  But it can
not really be avoided, at least on the sender side.