Re: Changing from L4 to something else...

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Changing from L4 to something else...
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:43:41 +0200

Since you don't know anything about those 1000 lines of code, any
statement that you do is wrong.  Maybe it was 1000 lines of code to do
a one time task and then be thrown into the gutter.

   When I suggest that Alfred is twice as productive as the average
   programmer, this is being very generous. This would actually place
   him in the top 15% of all programmers. The likelihood that he
   actually belongs that far up the ranking is extremely small, simply
   because Alfred is relatively young and programmers tend to grow
   into their most productive years in their 30's.

Please refrain from making comments about my abilities; I have asked
you this before, but it seems that you are incapable of making any
comments that cannot be considered as slander.  You know squat about
me, so stop pretending as if you do.

When you were getting a MSc I was already helping PhD students (CS)
solve their frigging programming problems and was using my own crappy
OS.  I used to write games and other crap when you got your BS, in
BASIC for a Casio FX750P on dead trees, writting programs that
wouldn't run on the damn thing because it had to little memory for my
taste even if I had _two_ 4k RAM extention cards, and the "monitor"
was one line which pissed me of so much since I really wanted a
rectagular area to draw things on and I was doing this when I was 6.

So please old man, refrain from pretending that you know me.  And
thank you for making me shiver at these horrid memories; I'll maybe
implement a FX750P emulator with the extentions I wanted when I was a
kid, just to see how well my programs will run.  Or maybe not... This
is BASIC after all: Worst Language Ever.

   My point: lines of code produced is a crap metric. The metric you
   want is lines of code *retained*.

Then why did you want to use that metric to begin with? How much is
retained can only be answered by my crystal ball that I accidently
droped yesterday.