Re: Persistence

From: R. Koot
Subject: Re: Persistence
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 02:45:40 +0100

Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:

Where persistence becomes really helpful is (a) in implementing things
like file systems, and (b) in keeping complex arrangements of processes
in sync with each other.

shap

When I first read about persistance in EROS I though it was great, but there is still the problem that after a crash you are transported back in time. Doesn't this create more troubles than it solves? Especially in networked environments. I'm think about the case where my 'files' are stored on another computer, in particular. I also read EROS/KesKOS allow programs to force a snapshot, if this happens frequently doesn't this greatly reduce performance?

Regards, Ruud.