Re: Persistence Pros and Cons

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Persistence Pros and Cons
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 18:01:20 +0100

"Christopher Nelson" <address@hidden> writes:

> Ah. Well, it seems to me that capabilities must not be serializable.
> If they could be, what would stop a thread from modifying the
> capabilities as they flowed back to the kernel?

Right.  I was assuming a _protected_ capability systems where
capabilities are by definition _not_ serializable by applications[0].

> If the serializing entity was part of the TCB, then you have to
> implement a certain amount of persistence anyway.

That was my point: how can we serialize capabilities without support
from the trusted kernel (i.e. without "persistence").  As you say, it's
probably impossible.  This makes the use of persistence more than just a
matter of taste.

> Once you start implementing persistence by degrees you run into a
> whole bunch of edge cases where it's just easier to implement
> system-wide persistence anyway.  That's been my experience, in any
> case.

I guess so.  Have you been working on persistence/checkpointing
mechanisms?

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[0] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/l4-hurd/2005-10/msg00010.html