Re: Sysadmins

From: Leonardo Lopes Pereira
Subject: Re: Sysadmins
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 14:02:23 -0300

On Thu,  3 Nov 2005 11:50:21 +0100 (CET)
Emmanuel Colbus <address@hidden> wrote:

> Leonardo Lopes Pereira wrote:
> > After a quick discuss with marco_g on IRC, i started to thing about Why we
> > need
> > a sysadmin. And I realize that only small options on the system need the
> > admin
> > interference. I saw that many people here are very fanatic about security,
> > but
> > what about a system with a admin that put backdoors on programs?
> >
> > So, if we will design a system where people can fell secure, we need to
> > create
> > a system where the admin has less power as possible.
> >
> > In my opinion, the admin is a user that will be able ONLY to configure some
> > parts of the system that cannot be configured by a user. All other things
> > that
> > the admin needs to do, like run a server, will be done by a common user
> > with no
> > more power than other users.
> >
> > To install programs we can create a mechanism that every user can install
> > programs that will be avaliable to every users. but all programs would be
> > signed on their origin, and if the user trust on that origin, this program
> > will
> > be able to work perfectly, if the user doesn't trust on the origin of the
> > program it will be alerted about that and will choose how this program will
> > run. With no access to FS, with a read-only access to FS or if the user
> > will
> > start to trust on that origin.
> >
> > I know that this is only one case of many thing that a sysadmin does, but
> > this
> > was what wake up this discuss in my mind, so, if you have more things that
> > you
> > beleave that only sysadmin can does, we can start to discuss, thanks.
>
> Yes : see http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/l4-hurd/2005-10/msg00827.html and
> its thread.
>
> Btw, allowing (and also forcing) users to install they own software, and also
> administrate it, would only result into a very great amount of lost time
> (redundant work from the users), a very bad security (do you really think
> every
> user has the competence of a sysadmin?), and a waste of disk space and other
> ressources.
I am not talking about an unix system where only the admin can install
softwares on / and the others users intall their softwares on ~. I am talking
about a system where all users have the right to add a new package on something
like /stow, that will be merged to /. So, If I install a package on that /stow,
it will appear to all others users that want to use it.

> If sysadmins were only unneeded parasites, they would have
> disappeared for long.
>
> Additionnaly, in the real world, the majority of the users wouldn't
> install their own software copy, they would just trust software from some
> other
> person, which is far more dangerous than trusting only one sysadmin (who is
> identified, available, responsible for what goes wrong, and theoretically
> also
> competent in his field).
They can trust in admin and user only admin's prograns, but they can also trust
on software installed by others persons.

> On the other hand, please note that the feature you mentionned is already
> available on any UNIX system : just install a copy of the software in your
> homedir, and use it instead of the admin's installed version; and use
> permission 0755, so that other users may also use it (the only thing you
> can't do here is removing its right to access the fs).
It isn't, not in a secure way.

> Oh, and please explain me how you would do to run 1 copy of sshd per user,
> for example... all of them sharing port 22 at the same time?! Or only one,
> which would belong to this "common user"... but how would he have the right
> to start a shell belonging to another user?
The sshd will be runned by an common user and when you access the sshd it will
ask what user do you wanna user, the password of that user and work like as you
access a user by ssh and use the command 'su' to change the user...

leonardolopespereira at gmail.com

GNU Privacy Guard (GPG)
ID da chave: 83E8AFBF | servidor: keys.indymedia.org
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-keys 83E8AFBF