Re: Persistence Pros and Cons

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Persistence Pros and Cons
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 13:21:27 -0500

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 17:35 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> I meant: in a non-persistent system.  The reason for my question is that
> Jonathan concluded that persistence is mostly "a matter of taste".
> Passive translators seem to be a counter-example.

I said this, but I don't think this is really my conclusion. Having
worked with it, I feel pretty strongly that persistence is a good thing.

My problem is that this feeling comes from the interactions of a lot of
complex issues that I have not yet been able to clearly tease apart.
Until I am able to do that, I cannot give a clear and unambiguous
rationale for persistence. In the absence of that rationale...