(OT) Request for advice: asm offsets

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: (OT) Request for advice: asm offsets
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 16:26:31 -0500

I would appreciate advice and/or suggestions about a Coyotos issue.

In Coyotos, there is a small list of structures defined in C that are
accessed from assembly level. We need to maintain a header file of field
offsets for these structures.

This is a serious pain in the ass to maintain, and it was a common
source of errors in EROS. Eventually, I decided to use an awk script
that generated both the C header and the assembler offset files from a
definition file. Some other things were generated from this as well.
This approach worked, but it isn't doxygen friendly.

I definitely want to avoid solutions that rely on being able to compile
a .o successfully.

The remaining alternative is to write a tool that can parse the C
headers directly and emit the asm offsets.

Before I go write one, does anyone know if such a tool already exists?