Re: DRM and freedom

From: Martin Schaffner
Subject: Re: DRM and freedom
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:15:16 +0100

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:59:20 -0500, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:

So far, you have presented an argument (to me, an unconvincing argument)
that DRM is bad.

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 17:33 +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

So, we have three issues here:

* The technology question if DRM and privacy are inseparable or not.
* The strategic question if it makes a difference if we have a structure that
  makes implementing DRM easier.
* The political question, which is how much privacy we want.

The hardest is a balance between the second and third point.

The following article is very relevant to this discussion, and provides more examples why DRM is bad:
http://www.eff.org/Infrastructure/trusted_computing/20031001_tc.php

It proposes the "owner override" mechanism to solve the treacherous aspects of TC. It also lists disadvantages of this mechanism.

I'd like to add to the disadvantages that it's not possible anymore for people to privately store data on machines which they do not own: employers, students, and remote account users can still be spied on if owner override is available. It seems to me that owner override would break "remote privacy" (I can't prevent you from spying on data I've put on your machine), while keeping "local privacy" - privacy would be limited to the machines one owns, /unless/ it is kept encrypted and therefore unusable (except as data store).

It is therefore possible to have local privacy with technical means while keeping everyones freedom to use whatever software one wants, and the freedom to lie about what software one uses, with owner override. The question is only wether TC+OO (owner override) will become available on the mass market (we can hope...). If yes, it seems clear that GNU should run on such machines. If no, it is not clear to me wether GNU should utilise TC hardware. Marcus' second and third points remain.

Thanks,
Martin