Re: [OT] mothers, free software

From: Robert Brockway
Subject: Re: [OT] mothers, free software
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:52:09 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, ness wrote:

Hi,

This day I had a really enervating discussion about free software with my mother. Finally I got her to claim the following statements:

o  One cannot make money with free software

As others have noted most of the money currently being made around free software is through service delivery. I strongly suspect models for making money from software exist that haven't even been thought of yet.

Linux has been putting food on my table for many years. My company has been profitable since day one. Ever job we've had has been exclusively or almost exclusively concerned with free software. The assertion above is false. QED.

o  Free software cannot provide (data) security

The word "cannot" is very strong. Open source apps _do_ provide data security. If she wants to claim OpenSSH doesn't provide data security she better have some pretty good arguments ready :)

If she meant that free/open source apps are not as good at providing data security, well people have been arguing back and forth on that for a long time. Opening the source allows the good guys and bad guys to checkout the source. Since it only takes one good guy seeing a problem to alert me (and those who will fix the hole) I judge open source to be benefical to security on my systems.

She also called called it fraud if a company sells support for a free program.

I always try to show respect to people's mothers but I have to say this is absurd. Fraud is "intentional deception for personal gain". Where is the deception if a company makes an agreement and does exactly what it says it will do?

Support can be provided for anything the buyer and seller agree to. A support agreement is just recognition that the buyer needs external assistance. Providing support for free software is no different from providing support for closed source software or shovelling snow.

Claiming it's fraud makes no sense to me at all.

Oh, and she doesn't believe you get money for building coyotos, Jonathan.

It's been my experience that some people don't understand change. It's also been my experience that they are the ones who are worse off in the long run, not the ones who understand change.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.           Phone:  +1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant     Email:  address@hidden