Re: Processor requirements

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Processor requirements
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:12:40 +0100

At Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:34:18 +1100,
remailer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I may say something.. new hardware is surprisingly cheap.
>
> If a NEW full featured celeron system with oodles of memory costs only
> $600 (AUD)

There are many parts in the world where $600 in just about any
currency are a fortune.

And yes, these countries need computers as well for education and work.

It's a challenge to provide them with affordable hardware.  The
solutions are usually either refurbishing electronic trash (but not
your and my computer, they are a maintenance nightmare---they like to
get 1000+ identical computers from a big company that's updating), or
building affordable custom hardware like PDAs or laptops.  Yesterday I
read an article about a 100 USD laptop for school kids, and even that
is considered to be too expensive.

> I think that very old hardware (mentioned as 386, 486) could easily be
> considered worthless to a point where you simply write it off as
> something which is no longer up to the task of running the latest code
> at a desirable speed if at all.

This is true, but what we consider trash is commodity elsewhere.

I am not saying that we should target this problem here and now.  But
it is important to keep it in mind.

Now, the good thing is that what we have today will be trash when a
fully usable Coyotos system will be released. ;)