Re: Processor requirements

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Processor requirements
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 12:07:22 -0500

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 18:21 +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> I would simply die or soon become a hobo, if I would do some serious
> investment in free software.

Perhaps. It hasn't turned out that way for me, or for many others.

Customers prefer open when they can get it -- it gives them options for
recovery. But it isn't a compelling issue in most cases, because
customers aren't paying for the software. They are paying for a
solution. If you solve an important problem, they will pay.

Most software people -- open or proprietary -- don't understand this.
The customer simply doesn't give a rat's ass about the software. They
care about solving a problem.