Re: The current hurd development system - or: optimizing for fun

From: Anders Breindahl
Subject: Re: The current hurd development system - or: optimizing for fun
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 11:30:27 +0100

On 2006-01-31  1918, Filip Brcic wrote:
> ???????? Tuesday 31 January 2006 09:57, Alfred M. Szmidt ????
> ??????????????(????):
> >
> > >    o Work on code.
> > >
> > > Would you like to work on some code? :-)
> >
> >    You are quoting me out of context here. Working on Hurd/Mach is no
> >    alternative if we are speaking about Hurd/Coyotos.
> >
> > One can work on both at the same time.  Hurd/whatever won't be ready
> > for who knows how long.  Hurd/Mach works already, and it works quite
> > well.  Mach has also gained a new interest to alot of hackers.
>
> I agree with you. Furthermore, I would suggest porting something like
> anaconda
> installer to GNU/Hurd, so that even more people could gain interest in
> hacking it. The current state of installation process for Hurd is not too
> good / newbie friendly. It would also be good to port Qt (as far as I heard,
> it has already been done) and KDE to Hurd. If GNU/Hurd/Mach becomes even
> nearly as usable as GNU/Linux, it will gain much more developers. At least,
> that's what I think.

Seconded. If the Hurd was so useable that its developers could run off
it, a lot more issues would be fixed. -- I guess so, too.

> > >    o Highly integrate the community.
> > >
> > > The more people who work, the more people will join...
> >
> >    I think we have to do more than passively wait for people to join.
> >
> > True, but not much more.  If there is lots of activity (I think people
> > would be happy if there was _any_ activity really), people will hear
> > about it, and join.
>
> agreed.

Seconded. The Hurd is presently standing still in public knowledge --
alas, no people will join the movement.

In an attempt at making this mail longer than it has to be, I'll briefly
digest the community we're looking to integrate into:
- GNU-loving folks, who are mostly found in Debian
- Efficiency-loving folks, who will be found where performance is
  optimal -- whether that is a question of eyecandy or filesystem-
  stability.
Could we (I dare say ``we'') integrate more GNU-lovers, these people
will eventually lift the project to where the second group will join.

Regards, Anders Breindahl.