Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd

From: Tom Bachmann
Subject: Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:21:15 +0100

Patrick Negre wrote:
I have read all the thread on DogsCows, and i can't see why it's not possible to avoid binding views to new names.

Where the following construction is false or unusable ?

I did not look whether they are false or unusable, but the basic challenge is how we can make legacy apps that are not aware of polytype files fit into the system. In you proposal, the default facet of a .tar.bz2 file would be the actualy untranslated/compressed content of the file. But what if I want a legacy application to browse the file like a directory? Or how could even new apps exchange file names without abiguity?
--
-ness-