Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd

From: Filip Brcic
Subject: Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 23:25:39 +0100

Дана Wednesday 08 February 2006 21:38, Jonathan S. Shapiro је написао(ла):
> On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 11:16 +0100, Filip Brcic wrote:
> > Дана Wednesday 08 February 2006 10:44, Tom Bachmann је написао(ла):

> > > Someone already came up with this idea. It is actually quite nice, but
> > > the problem is that POSIX only specifies one reserved character, '/',
> > > and thus foo.tar.bz2:as_dir is a valid name. So such a file could
> > > exist.
> >
> > Well, it could exist, but it probably will not. If it does exist, the
> > system can decide to use foo.tar.bz2:as_dir1, foo.tar.bz2:as_dir2, ...
> > until it finds the name that doesn't exist.
>
> My main objection to this line of proposal is that you have effectively
> embedded a policy, and it would be simpler and less confusing to just
> let the user bind a user-selected name in the first place.
>
> In either case, you have implicitly accepted the idea that "new
> interface gets newly bound name."

I agree. As I said, I would more like to see the same object as both file and
directory depending on what I would like to use it for.

In recent versions of less on Linux (I have Gentoo Linux, I don't know if this
is less's feature, or Gentoo patch), when I say less foo.tar.bz2, I'll see
the contents of the foo.tar.bz2 as a directory. On Linux it is made as a
feature embedded in the less program. If I click on the foo.tar.bz2 in KDE, I
will enter that file as a directory. On KDE that feature is implemented very
much like gnu/hurd translator. Kio-slaves effectively translate from
something (smb, targz, ftp, ...) to files+directories structure. The Gnome
has vfs which should look similar to kde's ioslaves (I don't use Gnome, so I
am not sure how it is implemented). Those are the features I would like to
see in the system. If I enter the command cd foo.tar.gz, I would like to
enter that archive. I don't want to think about foo.tar.gz:asDirectory and
other variants. In OOP language, I would like to see an implicit cast of the
FileDir object into the file and into the dir where applicable.

Filip

--
Filip Brcic <address@hidden>
WWWeb: http://purl.org/NET/brcha/home/