Re: Distributed Capabilities

From: Tom Bachmann
Subject: Re: Distributed Capabilities
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:48:41 +0200

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Hi,

Tom Bachmann <address@hidden> writes:

As described in one of my mails [1] to coyotos-dev and somewhere on
the E language homepage [2] it is possible to implement transparent
"remote" capabilities, i.e. caps that are invoked like normal local
ones but that actually invoke servers on other machines over the
net.

That is feasible, except that you lose confinement (i.e., the bit
representation of capabilities is visible to the participants, so one
can transfer capabilities off-line, e.g., over the phone)

Right. But the point of "distributed caps" is that they are sent over net, i.e. the bit representation is made visible. So if you want confinement the app must not hold (transitively) a cap to the forwarder (i.e. a wrapped "distributed cap"). I do not know how/wheather this can be made sure...
--
-ness-