Re: Reliability of RPC services

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Reliability of RPC services
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:35:38 -0400

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 11:54 +0200, Michal Suchanek wrote:

> ad (b) Imagine a few  scenarios:
> And I do not think that timeouts or watchdogs solve [these] on non-realtime
> system.

I agree. However, this mis-states the issue. You are talking about what
happens when you have already decided to recover (e.g. by killing a
non-performing renderer). The purpose of the timeout is to help
determine when recovery is required.

Also, in each of the examples that you gave, an asynchronous interface
is appropriate. Recovering on an asynchronous interface is relatively
straightforward.