Re: Reliability of RPC services

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Reliability of RPC services
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 12:38:33 -0400

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 18:14 +0200, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> Scribit Bas Wijnen dies 25/04/2006 hora 16:51:
> > However, as far as I see it, only the performance problem is actually
> > valid for the move-only-send-exactly-once capabilities.
>
> IIRC, move-only capabilities add a check in the copy process which
> impacts performance.

Yes. But truthfully this is a small issue. The bigger issue is that an
application cannot perform a copy without knowing what "type" of
capability it is copying. It needs to know this because the copy
behavior depends on the capability type.

Notice that this is not the same as the interface type, and it
introduces a significant application complexity.

Note further that not all reply capabilities are invoked by a reply.
Some are invoked by a send or a call!