Re: Reliability of RPC services

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Reliability of RPC services
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:45:28 +0200

Scribit Jonathan S. Shapiro dies 25/04/2006 hora 13:56:
> > checking that the capability is still usable seems to me to be much
> > complicated
> This check is already necessary in the specification.

Could you point me where it is further described in the Coyotos
specification (I'm reading it a bit in random order)?

> > this check would need to page in the FCRB
> So does severing the FCRB.

Yes, but not at the same time.

When C is eventually asked to cancel the operation, it will sever the
reply FCRB to itself. The capability to the FCRB then becomes a null
capability. C and anything from it can be paged out, it is not needed
anymore.

Some time later, S notices that it's capability is null, and can recover
without the need to page C in, not even the FCRB.

And so on in the chain of processes involved.

> > With the severing option, the check is lightweight and can be done
> > while the FCRB remain paged out, if it has been.
> Actually, severing requires an interprocess call to the storage
> allocator. It is *much* more expensive!

Severing is maybe expensive, but the check is not. Severing occurs only
N times for N+1 processes involved, and only when operation is canceled.
The check could occur at each heartbeat, until the operation is canceled
or completed, so it needs to be *very* inexpensive.

Expensively,
Nowhere man
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A