Re: Design principles and ethics

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Design principles and ethics
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 09:10:27 -0400

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 13:30 +0200, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> Scribit Bas Wijnen dies 02/05/2006 hora 10:14:
> > For non-trivial confinement, constructor == parent.
>
> No. Constructor != instanciatior.
>
> I'm not sure, but I think instanciator == parent.

This is also my understanding.

These terms are cumbersome. In KeyKOS and EROS, the terms were:

   builder - the process that inserts the initial capabilities
             into the constructor and then seals the constructor

   requester - the process that asks the constructor to
             instantiate a new process

I *think* that these are operationally the same as Marcus's terms:

        creator => builder
        instantiator => requester

they have the advantage that they describe the roles more accurately
**assuming** that you are using the constructor concept. I am not
convinced that they describe the roles for Marcus's design at all.

Mostly, I wanted to introduce them in case I screw up and use them by
accident -- I do not remember to transcode terminology with 100%
accuracy.