Re: Design principles and ethics

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Design principles and ethics
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 07:07:12 +0200

Scribit Bas Wijnen dies 04/05/2006 hora 21:06:
> If we implement features which are much more capable of locking users
> out of their property than current mechanisms, then we will have a
> very hard time to make sure companies don't use those features.

But I think we don't have to prevent them using the features. We just
have to show to the world that doing another way is better.

> So: given the existence of copyright, and the fact that other people
> (ab)use it, I use copyright to protect against that.

People couldn't abuse copyright with texts placed in the public domain,
because it is in the public domain. I don't find your position very
consistent. Copyleft is a way of using copyright in a very interesting
way, but it is using copyright. If you don't like copyright, use public
domain.

You shouldn't advocate for something you can't seem to use for yourself.

Quickly,
Nowhere man
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A