Re: Challenge: Find potential use cases for non-trivial confinement

From: Sam Mason
Subject: Re: Challenge: Find potential use cases for non-trivial confinement
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 13:56:48 +0100

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 11:17:53PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> Propose a use case for non-trivial confinement.

Just thought of a use case on the ride in to work today -- hope it
hasn't been mentioned already, I've done a quick search and didn't come
up with anything!

  How about the little (image) preview window that appears in some
  graphical open file dialogs?

The open dialog should allow processes to register a "previewer" that
allows the dialog to preview the file in a manner appropriate to the
application showing the dialog.  I.e. a graphical viewer could elect to
display Postscript files graphically, whereas a text editor would show
the same file's source (if it elected to have a preview at all).

To me this seems as though the application would pass a capability to
the open dialog naming a preview constructor in the calling application.
The dialog window would then be able to instantiate a single previewer
for each file, destroying the old one when the user selects a new file.
Non-trivial confinement is needed because the open dialog doesn't trust
the calling program to not grant itself permission to the previewers
address space and to pull information out of it after the user has
selected a file.

I hope that makes sense and hasn't been covered before!

  Sam