Re: Part 2: System Structure

From: Jörg Bornschein
Subject: Re: Part 2: System Structure
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 21:09:07 +0200

Jörg Bornschein wrote:
We are discussing in the context of l4-hurd, an free (as in "open source") operating system. So right now, this cost is reduced to "install another version with an integrated debugger". This cost is IMHO negligible.
Maybe I should write down where I'd like to end  up:

Given a non-TPM, open source system which hardware I own: opaque memory is a voluntary feature which can not be relied on. (in the eyes of a software "vendor").

Especially: It does not harm the the idea (ideology) of information freedom.

In this case its more comparable to the private/protected access modifier in most object oriented programming languages.

This conclusion (right now) does not hold in the cases of "TPM enabled system" or "I'm not the hardware owner". These cases should be considered independently.

   j.