Re: operating system design AND implementation

From: Guillaume FORTAINE
Subject: Re: operating system design AND implementation
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 21:17:45 +0200

cyn0n rautha wrote:
greets-
  it sucks that people on the hurd mailing list are so lazy and arrogant
  huh? I've been reading and screwing around with the hurd for about a
  1/2 of a year now and there has been NO improvement--no on really
  wants to work on a kernel that is going to be trashed within 2 months
  so no one codes anything. I thought L4 would be great but then
  everyone wants to wait for coyotes which is a fucking commerical
  endeavor! Shapiro is quite an asshole and is very elitist and
  controlling while others are doing other things at the time.
  I agree with you that there needs to be a new kernel design with a new
  language other than c but I want to work on something NOW that we can
  at least boot with qemu. I mean for crying out loud I worked with uuu
  back in the day when it was pure assembly and we had network drivers,
  graphical display, sound, etc. within 3-4 months of the project's
  inception--granted one of our members lived, ate, and slept assembly
  but that's besides the point--the point is that we should start coding
  now
  if you would like to start up a new list that we may actually get
  something going I'd be more than happy to help.
  It will be another week before I have steady internet access because
  I'm waiting for my connection to be hooked up as I just moved--right
  now it's coffeeshops and neighbor's access points.
  I know less than 20 lines of assembly will boot a kernel into
  protected mode and am a great fan of tenenbaum's os design books.
  Anyways, ttyl

  -cyn0n

Here is the kind of dude that I want in my team :-)

You can boot this :

http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~hallgren/House/hOp-0.7.flp

qemu -m 256 -fda hOp-0.7.flp

For all *serious* hackers : here is the starting point :-) :

http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~hallgren/House/

Best Regards,

                 Guillaume Fortaine