Re: Separate trusted computing designs

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Separate trusted computing designs
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:24:49 +0200

At Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:47:20 +0200,
"Michal Suchanek" <address@hidden> wrote:
> This whole argument is pointless as nobody found a design so far that
> makes use of TPM impossible, or at least hard. The well organized
> components of the Hurd will be likely easier to certify than most
> popular OSes. You only need to add a TPM driver, and a service that
> does the certification.

I believe that any effective DRM mechanism will be invasive on the
whole design of the operating system, for natural reasons.

Anyway, I agree that there does not seem to be a technical measure
against this technology.  At least, I am unaware of such a measure,
and in fact I am not even looking for it.  I am not interested in the
question if there is one and how it would look like.

Any effective protection against it would appropriately come from a
legal restriction, ie GPL v3 for example (but there are other cases
where people have excluded DRM applications by choice of license).